Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rdiff-Backup => Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2003
CA
Hello,

I have two boxes installed with Debian Woody they both have Rdiff-backup installed and they can both backup local.. so it appears that the software is functioning ok. Both boxes were installed at the same time with identical config.
The scenario is that each box will be backing up to the other temporarily. I have configured ssh-rsa keys between the two servers which are also working ok. One server (Server1) is able to connect to and backup the other (Server2) without issue... When attempting to backup Server1 to Server2, I recieve the following...

Server2:/tmp# rdiff-backup Server1-backup::/tmp test-backup
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 5099, in ?
Globals.Main.Main()
File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 4843, in Main
self.take_action(rps)
File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 4818, in take_action
PipeConnection(sys.stdin, sys.stdout).Server()
File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 1802, in Server
self.get_response(-1)
File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 1769, in get_response
try: req_num, object = self._get()
File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 1690, in _get
if format_string == "o": result = cPickle.loads(self._read(length))
ImportError: No module named rdiff_backup.connection
Fatal Error: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)

Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing ssh -C Server1-backup rdiff-backup --server
Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
installed in the PATH on the remote system. See the man page for more
information on this. This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (0.13.4).

I'm not quite sure why this is an issue on one box but not the other as they are both fresh installs of debian with not much else intsalled... Any input on this situation would be very greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Please Disregard this post. The issue in now resolved, Rdiff-backup was installed with apt during the install.. It was an earlier version, I then compiled the latest version after but had not removed the first one. rdiff-backup -V showed the latest version so thats what threw me off. I removed the initial version with dpkg -r rdiff-backup and now it works like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back