Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDC won't work through VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpav29

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
I've read all the posts relevent to my issue, but can't find anything quite like my problem. I used to be able to make this work, then had to replace hard drive, reinstall everything, etc. and now I can't recreate the connection.

The Host has VPN enabled. . .I establish that connection first, no problem.
Next, I have to use remote desktop to get to the server. When it worked before, I simply used the local IP of the server i.e. 192.168.1.10.

Now, RDC can't find it. . .seems like it is only looking for the IP address on my local network.

FYI: my local rounter is 192.168.1.1, DHCP range is 192.168.1.101 to 110, the computer I'm using is set as static IP of 192.168.1.100 (not sure if any of that matters).

With the VPN connection established (I'm sending and receiving), shouldn't I be able to see the other network pretty easily?

Thanks in advance for any help. . this has been driving me nuts!

When you reinstalled everything and recreated the VPN connection, did you make sure to un-check "Use default gateway on remote network". On your VPN connection, right-click on it and select properties. Then click on the "Networking" tab, select TCP/IP and click properties, click the advanced button and there it is. If that doesn't work I'm lost with you.

-PuterLuver

Thanks so much! I can't believe it was that easy. . .I really appreciate the help!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back