Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDC: Unable to connect from external computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2004
US
I've been trying to do some digging on this, but it seems I have ran out of places to look.

I am trying to set up a RDC connection on a network using a Linksys WRT54G (v.3 firmware). The server computer is configured with a manual IP, outside the DHCP range. RDC connection is enabled (port 3389 is enabled). Internet Connection Firewall is disabled currently. Port 3389 is mapped to the static IP on the router. I also disabled the 'block internet requests' checkbox and the firewall on the Linksys router.

I can connect fine from inside my network, using the internal static IP, or the public IP. However, I am unable to connect from an external computer using the public IP.

While on an external computer, I am unable to ping the router or connect to the remote desktop. This seems strange because I disabled the checkbox above. I also have SBC DSL, but I don't know if they block any ports.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks!

Is the computer you are trying from at work? Many corporate firewalls block access to RDC. If it is I would try from a dial up connection.

The computer is at work, but we constantly use RDC for other computers at work. Also, my co-worker has been able to remote into his computer at home, very similar setup.

I to am having the same issue and i also have SBC as my provider. I have a Netgear MR814 router and i have port 3389 forwarded to my internal IP and I made sure that TS was started. This may be way off but i have read posts on other sites that it may be a Certificate problem but that seem's to far fetched. I have tried using dialup to connect and everything under the sun, i am starting to think that its my router. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Here's another interesting issue. Using a different router (BEFW11S4), and a different computer...I have port 3389 pointing to a static IP, firewall/block wan requests disabled. I can ping the wan ip from a computer outside the network, but I can't RDC into the computer. Inside the network it will RDC using the internal or wan ip.

Bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back