Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rcp problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
GB
We have configured a new IBM P series server into our network but have been unsuccessfull in getting rcp to work properly. I have set up /.rhosts & /etc/hosts.equiv on the P series server and also on the servers i'm trying to rcp from. The entries in the files are correct as they work fine on other AIX servers. rlogin is not working from the P series without a password so i'm fairly certain this is why rcp will not work either. Is there anything else I need to change to get rcp working. I'm trying to use rcp as the 'root' user and yes i'm aware of the security implications of doing this.

Regards,
Mike

mike,

try to look for "thread52-135219 - rcp commands" and try not to use root ID - instead other user ID.

i believe it's going to work. i tried and it works for me.

Check the permissions on your .rhosts file. It should be 600 (or at the least 644 but 600 is tighter) to allow an rcp.

If your using DNS make sure you have the fully qualified hostname of the server and the short name on the same line. I’ve seen this before.

Vantandem

With some unix variants the .rhosts file requires a blank line appended to the bottom. Why I don't know...

Switch off kerberos authentification on your new P-Series,
than perhaps .rhost funktion will work.
To switch off Kerberos --> smitty tcpip - Further config. -
Authentication Config.

HTH
Axel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back