Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RCDD's-Firestopping in manufacturing plant , Where to start? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpearson

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
My company recently obtained an account with a huge manufacturing plant.We have inhereted all the improper cabling practices from the previous cabling contractor (Everything you should not do, they did),and our first goal is to get the cabling up to standard where ever possible.We have IDF's (many) located in penthouses above the plant floor,and none of the penetrations through the floor have been firestopped.What can I do to get this right? Is this a local issue with NEC? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

First thing you need to do is inventory all the penetrations. i.e. # of cables, size of hole, sleeved or not.
Then get a firestop catalog from Nelson, Unique, STI or 3M and match what you have to their firestop assemblies.
Then you build the firestop EXACTLY how the assembly sheet in the catalog shows it done, with the exact components it calls for.

This is the ONLY proper way to firestop. Contrary to what many people think, just putting firestop material in a hole is NOT proper firestopping. To be adequate they must be built according to the Listed Assembly Sheet in the catalog.

You will need to observe fill ratios for adequate firestop in order for it to work. The fill ratio that you must follow will be in the catalogs on the Listed Assembly Sheets.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Thanks for the reply...

One more note...The cores contain no sleeves,just a hole in the floor.Some of the closets have at least one sleevless core which we can sleeve properly,the rest have cables through them already.

You can get two part sleeves that can be assembeled around existing cables.

All very good points indeed. So MANY times what we see in the field is a gob of red goop that someone explains is 'firestopping'. On the flip side, my guys are constantly placing firestopping through walls that probably don't need them. Better to be that way than not I suppose, but keep in mind not every vertical or horizonatal divider requires firestopping. If you are in doubt, you can either do it to be safe on contract with someone who can determine the proper solution for you.

There are firestopping products on the market that are listed for almost every situation you encounter in the as built world, however if you are already over the fill factor for the size of hole it can get very challenging. As Richard said, get the catalog and inventory what you have. If you are at all in doubt, I've found the folks at Nelson and 3M to be very helpfull when I fax a drawing of my problem and let them engineer the solution.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Ok...How do you determine if a vertical penetration requires firestopping? Is this a local code situation? AHJ?

I think that firestopping is a requirment(or not a bad idea...) due to it being a manufacturing plant,and that the penetrations sre within the IDF's directly above the plant floor where anything can happen. Not to mention the cost of the equipment in the room.

Thanks.

There are many codes that may be applicable. Depending on where you are, it could be the Uniform Building Code or the BOCA code or some other code to start with. If you throw in the National Fire Code and the Fire Life Safety Code, which may be enforcable by the AHJ, it can get very complex (the NEC is part of the National Fire Code). I remember when working in the fire service having VOLUMES of code in 3 ring binders on the shelf, updated constantly, and a real nightmare to wade through. Having two large industrial plants in my jurisdiction was a challange, and I routinely called in the state fire marshal to do inspections with me and interpret the code (not to mention share the liability and enforcement challenges).

According to the code, buildings are classified by their use. There are different rules for each occupancy, obviously a rental storage facility will have different requirements than a nursing home. Once the type of occupancy is determined, various other portions of the code come into play. Buildings are basically divided into compartments or areas small enough to be controllable for fire suppression. The overall goal is to stop the spread of fire to another compartment so that it can be extinguished. Bear in mind we are completely leaving out the ingress/egress and occupant safety issues because those require different protection aspects. Things like escape corridors, stair wells, areas of rescue assistance, exit lighting become very sensitive to the inspector. These life safety areas will be compartmentized from the main portion of the building if the building is large enough.

So, as your wiring leaves these compartments into neighboring compartments, fire stopping will likely be required. However, many of the walls WITHIN the compartment do not require firestopping where they are penetrated. If you see fire doors for example, ones that automatically close in case of fire, they will be rated for a particular protection level (1 hour, 2 hour, etc.) and when you penetrate the wall around that door you need to meet the same rating.

It's rather complex, and if your intent is to meet code you may need the AHJ to come in and tell you what he wants to see. Keep in mind that every AHJ understands the 'intent' of the code differently, and as such can allow you some liberties if he feels you are meeting the intent.

Ah that should cloud the issue completely. When it doubt, firestop. Almost all inspectors are more than happy to have you pose the question and let them tell you how much they know about it. And, since they have the final say, it's a good place to ask.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

When in doubt ALWAYS ask the AHJ, since they are the one you must ultimately satisfy.
Whenever I go from floor to floor I firestop, firestop is cheap compared to a lawsuit.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

In one of the first replies someone mentioned Unique fire stop products. They have a split sleeve system that can be retrofitted around existing cabling. I have researched these products and they will work in a variety of environments. This may be a good start for you to fix the mess that has been left for you.

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back