Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAW print jobs 'on hold' after first 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynndawn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
NL
Don't know if anyone can help me with this problem, but we have a networked Printronix P5000 Series which is issued with an IP address. The drivers are installed on a winnt4 sp6a workstation as it's server & the data format is RAW.

We never had any problems with it printing slowly or in batches before, but after updating to sp6a from sp4 it now seems to print in batches of 7. The other changes were that we installed Norton Anti-Virus which we disabled for testing this problem & it made no difference.

The LPR print monitor gives an warning in the application log event ID 2004 host is rejecting request. will retry until it accepts the request or the job is cancelled by the user'.

What are the things I should be checking to find the problem? Any info would be great - THANKS!

remove and reinstall printer in case drivers got confused during nt upgrade?

Since it was working before, this is probably remote chance, but is there enough room for spool file and is harddrive being defragged?

May be something to do with how many 'sending ports' NT can use; the original 'lpr' protocol specification means that only ports in the range 721-731 can be used as sending ports (the target port is always 515).
NT originally supported this limitation, which is very restrictive with lots of small spools, because each port can only be re-used after a time-out period).
With one of the service packs (can't remember which one) there were options to allow different sending ports; I think that the next service pack changed how this worked (I think to make it more global; the original method applied per printer, I believe).
Perhaps the SP6a update has reverted some of the settings in this area? Best place to check this out is on Technet (non-subscribers can still search the on-line Microsoft Knowledge Base for free).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back