Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ratio of Analysts to Phone sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy24

Technical User
Feb 18, 2004
US
Question, is there some formula or set rule for the average number of analysts/techs to the number of phones? We are growing rapidly and are being told we don't need any more help. I am trying to make a case for another employee.

I am not sure if this helps, but for my organization, I have two analysts, two technicians and I am adding a third tech. We are self maintained, and support both the voice and data networks. We have 114 locations, and 2800 sets. We also do our own installation on all voice and data equipment.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

My opinion of the job descriptions of analysts and techs are very different. Do you need help with the physical work of phones, such as moves/adds/changes/programming. Or do you need help with the planning of phones.

I would suggest that you start by fully documenting the work that is getting done now. Document everything like what type of work, how long, if the work is able to be revenue generating, productive but non-revenue generating time (like training), overtime, average delay between work ordered to work actually getting done, etc... If you can prove with numbers that you are busy, it will be easier to get your bosses to accept that you need help.

Get the numbers and then try!

we are supporting a major site, i am the only analyst, as well as the only sortware certified tech, we have two techs for the layer 1 voice side, with 8000 stations, 60 pri;s.. call pilot symposiumn, mica miran cisco voip (400) wireless sets, pretty old and trashed wiring, typical older nortel site

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Please define growing rapidly. 30 sites in 2002, 40 in 2003, 50 in 2004, 70 in 2005. 300 phones in 2002, 400 in 2003, 500 in 2004, 700 in 2005.
If you have projects scheduled for 2006 for implementation of new sites and you need all current personel for those implementations, block out those dates for other service on the calendar. If projects will tie up all your people for (9) 2 week periods during 2006 then make that known. Request those periods to be scheduled around for all other requests. If your numbers are realistic, and the reduced availability for other things is not acceptable, then you have established a problem which needs to be addressed. New staff may not be the solution, temp, contract, or third party providors during your peak times may be a better fit.

Do not tie your hands, or your argument into needing new employees, establish the projected work load, and projected response times, and projected projects causing windows of black out for other services during implementations, or projects. If these parameters are acceptable, then you may not need additional help.

Finaly, if you are given unrealistic work loads and deadlines, say so, in no uncertain terms. If you allow them to stand unchallenged, cut corners, or give up having a life in order to meet them, you have yourself to blame. If you make them known as such, then you are not responsible for the outcome if things do not meet deadlines. Sending an email to a project manager, documenting that timelines can not be met with current staff and keeping the email is a wise course. Also, make a 110% effort to show your commitment was not an issue.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

another factor is how much of your work you farm out. adding a new site for me means deciding equitment type, fiber or carrier interface as opposed to maybe a standalone with pri. that and voip rollout.. larger projects we may contract the actual install but smaller projects like the new heart center (500 tdm stations plus 100 voip wireless) will be done in house. upgrade/lic issues are an ongoing issue, they can take as much or as little time as as time line can provide. at one time telco used a loose formula of one tech per 1000 users, that's overkill but one per 2500 stations is a stretch. another case in point is how much time is invested on maint. that is the most overlooked portion of most pbx sites.. a maint schedule needs to in place and take precedence over almost any project..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back