Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS Server settings on NT4.0 - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjstanton

Technical User
Aug 28, 2001
US
We have RAS installed on one of our servers. One of our employees wants to dial in from home - she has a laptop running Win98 - modem, no NIC card. She has permission to
dial in to the network. Once we set up a Dial-Up Networking connection, what settings, services, and/or protocols should she have on her laptop - TCP/IP, etc?

We will be using TCP/IP on a dial-in connection. In the RAS Server Setup Dialogue box, we click on the Configure button (to the right of the TCP/IP check box) to configure some additional settings necessary for those workstations to attach to the network. What settings need to be here? And how should whatever we enter there jive with what we put on her dial-up connection? We do not run DHCP.

TIA for any and all replies!
mj

I have configured RAS before, but I do not have a RAS server to view here to help you, so if you give me a few of the "options available to check" I think I might be able to help you.
Does your user want to go anywhere outside of your RAS server once dialed in?, to other servers on the same network?, to other servers on a different network? The user might have to configure that "ip gateway" information at her end, since you are not feeding it to her by DHCP from your end.

The user needs access to the other servers on the same network. Let me back up by saying that before I came onboard here, a user who is long gone used to dial in to this server.

The Network Configuration Dialogue box basically has 2 sections - Dial Out Protocols where you can checkmark NetBEUI, TCP/IP and/or IPX. (NetBEUI and TCP/IP are checked).

Same protocol checklist for allow remote clients running the following protocols. (Same protocols checked here).

There is a Configuration tab to the right of the TCP/IP checkbox. The dialogue from there:

Once again, basically 2 sections - the first one asks you to choose whether the the remote user will access the entire network or "this computer only". (Entire network is checked).

The second section asks you to choose between
Use DHCP OR
Use static IP address pool - and there are spaces for a range of IP addresses - begin and end - right now there is a range of IP addresses in there (a range of 3 numbers!) that have nothing in common with our network IP address scheme. This is what confuses me - I was told "this is the way it was set up for *gone user* and it worked just fine, so make it work for *new user*

Obviously, I have never set up RAS before so I need to know what if anything I need to change in the server configuration, and how to set up her dial-up networking connection on her laptop. Thanks for you help.

mj

1) is there any chance that you can bring the laptop into your office (closer to the RAS machine), dial in from there into the RAS machine in the back room? This might make it easier on you figuring out changes on either side instead of working through the user.

2) yes, correct. have "entire network checked".

3) have you say you have "netbuei" checked for incoming protocols? Netbuei is not a routable protocol, so if your user is coming in with this protocol, she will only be able to get to the RAS server, and no other server.

4) If "they" say your IP schema that you are giving out to the people dialing-in worked before, let's leave that alone for now. Just check what the user gets assigned at her end when dialed in. Use "winIpcfg" or "winipcfg /all" to see what IP address and gateway was assigned to her dial in adapter.

5) ok, more on her side. Make sure she is using at least MS Dial-Up Networking version 1.3.

(maybe step her through setting up the dial-in connection)
- these steps may either be for Windows 98 or for Windows NT, I did not write that part down when I documented this for past customer setup. If it is for NT, it should be pretty close to what you need to do for W98.
6) Check “non-windows nt, expect password”, next
7) Phone number is 937-455-1868 or 8-275-1868, next
8) Select PPP, next
9) Select None, next
10) No IP Address, next
11) No DNS, or WINS, next
12) Finish
13) Select “more”
14) Select “edit modem properties”
15) Select “server”
16) Remove the check from IPX. Only TCP/IP should be checked, OK

Tekinfarmland

Thanks for the info and instructions. Here's where we are now - first, she is presented with both a windows logon and a microsoft network logon upon bootup. She gets a "no domain controller could be found....etc" for each one. She clicks OK, and is at her desktop. She says that's annoying....

We don't know how to check which version of DUN she's running. But - she connects, and she can ping every computer on the network, but she cannot SEE the network at all. Her Remote Access logon has been authenticated (saw that in the event log). TCP/IP is the only protocol checked on both the server and user side. We're running WINS, and I had her enter the WINS servers IP addresses in her dial-up TCP/IP settings.

I'm obviously missing something, but what???

TIA
mj

Do this by yourself, without the user around and test it throughly...get her password, all resources she'll need to get to, have her test it in front of you

1. give her a static IP

2. make sure RAS service is running on the server

3. make an lmhosts file so her laptop knows where to look for the pdc (look up lmhosts on microsoft site for sync commands)

4. if theres still a problem, add her IP and computer name to the DNS...bascially force this system to look nothing dynamic!

etc etc...

...the higher the fewer

Yes, at this point the next thing to try is:

1) have her edit the local hosts file to add at least your domain controller information in it.

2) A windows and microsoft network login at startup and both fail? Hmmm. What does she have listed in "network properties"?
- right click net neighborhood
- properties
- "configuration" tab
- select client for MS networks
- press "properties" button
- does she have "logon to NT domain" checked?
- does she have a domain listed in the field below that?
- are those the correct domains for your services?
If these are correct for your situation, then I think putting the domain controller in the "hosts" file should take care of her login problems.

- right click net neighborhood
- properties
- "identification" tab
- the workgroup here should match your NT domain
- the workstation name here should be added to your NT domain
IF it is not added to your NT domain, and the workgroup isnt the same as the domain name she will not be able to "see" anyone else in network neighborhood

Hope this brings you closer.

Tekinfarmland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back