Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjacob

MIS
Jan 20, 2002
US
I am running y2k server, exchange 2k, ads, dns, wins. I have installed Ras, and can connect and authentiate, however, i cannot browse the neighborhood, or ping the server I'm connected too. I have tried everything that I know how to do, and am stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

Can you ping via IP address and not name or just not at all?

Whenever I've encountered this problem it's always been DNS or WINS issue, basic instructions I wrote that solved the issue for some of our people are:

1). In Windows 2000 to check this if you go to the “Start Menu” then to “Settings” and then to “Network and Dial-up Connections” then double click on your network card.
2). In the “Local Area connection Status” window click the “Properties” button.
3). In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window select the “Internet Protocol” and then click the “Properties” button.
4). In the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties” window click the “Advanced” button.
5). In the “Advanced TCP/IP Settings” window click the “WINS” tab, on the WINS settings window click the “Add” button, when the window appears enter the IP address: <insert your WINS server address here> and click the “Add” button
6). You should be returned to the “Advanced TCP/IP Settings” window, from this select the “DNS” tab.
7). In the box labelled “DNS suffix for this connection” type <insert your domain suffix here>
8). Click “OK” on all the open network settings windows to confirm the changes.
9). Reboot

I have a 98 client connecting to a 2k domain. I beleive i have tried adding the domain in that option, but I will double check. I cannot ping via ip or name. Thank you again for your help.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back