Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ras clients getting wrong default gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoub1eu

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2003
US
I setup a RAS server on a 2003 box and gave it a scope of a few ip addresses. Everything is working fine and clients can dial in fine but their ip address is the same as their default gateway and their subnet mask is 255.255.255.255...

Is this normal? Their IP info looks like below:

IP address: 10.3.100.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 10.3.100.50

DNS/WINS is correct.

Any idea why the default gateway isn't 10.3.100.1 like it's supposed to be? Don't see that anywhere to configure in RRAS...

Thanks for your help!

This is quite normal. All our dialup customers get assigned the same default gateway as their dynamic address.

Unfortunately Windows OS can't rationalise an IP stack without a default gateway so it simply puts something in there that is deemed appropriate.

Were you just querying the IP behaviour of a RAS system or are you experiencing no connectivity?

No, connectivity is fine and I can ping everything...Just thought it was a little strange to not get the .1 default gateway...

So I shouldn't be worried about this?

Thanks for the fast response

It's perfectly normal Windows behaviour. RAS servers don't typically pass a default gateway to the dialup clients and, as such, Windows feels it has to put something.. anything.. in the default gateway parameter of the IP stack to compensate.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back