Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS client unable to browse network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mia158

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
US
I took out a gbit NIC from the RAS server and temporarily used the embedded 10/100 card. After doing that the RAS clients could not browse network. Yesterday, I installed the replacement gbit card on the RAS server. The clients can connect and are able to ping the RAS server, the RAS server can ping the client, but I am still unable to browse the domain.

Find lmhosts.sam on the client PC.
Make a copy as lmhosts. (no extension).

Add a line...I believe the order is:

NT Server IP: NT Server Name #PRE

The instructions are in the lmhosts file itself.

Glenn

I am having the same problem. I can ping all servers, ping the client but unable to browse network. I tried the lmhosts
thing but it did not work

i put the nt servers ip then a space then : then another space then the server name then another space then #pre
is this correct?

Remove the first :

i.e.
10.0.0.1 Server_Name #PRE (must be upper case I think)

I enabled IP forwarding on the RAS server, and was able to browse.

Don't you love simple answers, 4909823 hours later?

I use DHCP to assign IP's. The RAS client received an IP from the DHCP scope defined on the RAS server, but is unable to ping the RAS server nor the dialup server.

Goes without saying that cannot browse the network.

Can any body help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back