Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAS authenticates user but not machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyboards0822

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2002
US
We've got an NT4SP6a server running RAS w/TCPIP & NetBeui for dial in from the outside (mainly WIN2KPro laptops). We can dial in and the user authenticates immediately but hangs for a long time while authenticating the machine to the network. Eventually it comes back with an 718 error saying NetBeui failed. When okaying through the error, the LT comes back with the "connected to the network" message. RAS port monitor shows the Netbeui machine name and IP properly, but I can't see anything on the network. I can't ping any servers from the LT and vice versa.

Originally the RAS connection was comng in through another machine that took a hike on us about a month ago. And no, the other machine was not recoverable so we can't even look at the old settings.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Jim Richards
IT Manager
FASI Inc.

I think that there is a setting that states "allow clients to connect to this computer only" Sounds like this might be your problem. I am not sure where it is.

Nope. Already checked that. It's under the settings for the RAS protocols. Funny thing is I can see the IP and NetBeui name in the Port Status monitor when it hits the network. All the subnets are correct and I still can't seem to find it by IP or machine name. Even had three others take a look at it to see if they could find it. Uh Uh, not a chance.

I'm getting ready to wield the ever popular 5lb fine adjustment tool and do some "adjustments" Jim Richards
IT Manager
FASI Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back