Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ranking Records in query - can I get it to say BEST and WORST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmn

Programmer
Apr 3, 2003
US
Hello,
I have a query that ranks records and I'd like it to say BEST for the highest and WORST for the lowest. If I had a set # of vendors - I could always say that the Rank of 1 = BEST and the Rank of - let's say - 12 was the WORST - but one quarter I may have 12 and the next quarter I may have 13.

Is there a way to write an IIf statement for this?

I thought this would work but it doesn't like it. I am writing it in the same query where they are being ranked (not even sure that is possible)

(IIf([Ranking]=MIN([Ranking]),"BEST",""))

This is an example from my dbTest. It can certainly be done better, but it may get you started:

First, I created Query2 to total Min and Max of tblTest1.[no], then

SELECT tblTest1.data2 AS Best, tblTest1_1.data2 AS Worst
FROM (Query2 INNER JOIN tblTest1 ON Query2.MinOfno = tblTest1.[no]) INNER JOIN tblTest1 AS tblTest1_1 ON Query2.MaxOfno = tblTest1_1.[no];

to display the corresponding value from tblTest1.[data2], ie vendor name, as Best and Worst.

You're not alone,

TomCologne

I will probably get laughed at for this but I created a query where I determined the MIN and the MAX. I subsequently attached that query to my query that creates the rankings and other results (for the BIG report) and it worked out nicely. I wrote an IIf statement saying if the score was equal to the MIN score - say WORST (actually, that's a bad word to them - they say it sounds so negative - so it will be changed to something more politically correct (I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO!!!!!) - but if it is the MAX score it will say Best!

:-D

LMN, what you did is correct. There's no shame in using a query as one of the 'sources' in another query.

As far as your replacement for "worst", how about "Greatest Potential for Improvement" ??? [lol]

Me? Ambivalent? Well, yes and no....
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back