Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ranking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxzzzzzz

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
US
I have been shown this once but have already forgot since I don't do ranking reports very often. How do you make the report show the actual rank number (1,2,3...)??

Thanks!

see advancedreporting.pdf chapter 4. Open up to the rank function.

I looked @ the PDF, and it really only shows me how to do ranking but not how to put the rank count/number on the report. I have an example where there is an actual metric called "Rank by Store" that shows me the rank # (ex: #5 out of top 100). I can't recreate that.

Thanks!

You said you "looked" at the pdf, but did you actually try it? The function works fine for me.

Hi GB65,

Use the "Rank" function at "Rank and N Tile Function". If needed, you can set the break by parameter. To do it, insert the "Rank" function on your metric and right click it, then you click on "Rank Parameters" and finally use the "break by" based on the right attribute.

My actual report with ranking works fine--all I want to do here is add the rank number/count to the report too. Thanks for your help nlim and fukudahs. As to mstrNate, I am so tired of getting smart answers to posts on this board--I'm so sorry that I'm not an expert like you must be. It gets real discouraging to find a great forum but have a few people mess it up for those of us who really want to learn!

GB65,

What are you trying to accomplish? I have a metric defined as RANK([Total Sales]), I'll call it [Store Sales Rank], which, when I place it on the report with Store and Total Sales (optional) metrics, will give me the ranking of that store (1,2,3...). nlim pointed you to the correct section from what it seemed like you were asking.

From your post I wanted to make sure you had actually tried the function in a metric. You did say you "looked" at it, not actually built it. I've built it and it worked for me. Below is what you'd get (you might have to play with the parameters of the Rank function). If that is not what you're looking for, please clarify. As for being an 'expert', I like helping and getting help. I sure don't know everything.

Here is what the report would look like:
[Store Sales Rank] [Total Sales]
Store

Store 101 1 $10,0000
Store 102 2 $8,500
Store 103 3 $5,000

Now now, let's not get too testy here.

GB65 it seems you have successfully installed MSTR 7i. You had mentioned that you were trying to sell the business side. Hope that you have made a correct decision.

Let us know if you still have problems getting the rank function to show up. Rank(sales) is like a metric in MSTR. You have to place it on the report for it to show up.

Hi GB65,

I apologize for the smart answer(s) earlier. I'll try to steer away from that in the future. While I work on that, please continue to post as there are a lot of helpful people here.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back