Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Randomly rebooting 1230 set ... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everyone:

I'm struggling to diagnose a problem with a random reboot on a 1230 set ... mine, of course! :) It's been happening for the last few months. I've checked continuity between the jack and the patch panel, and I also checked continuity from the cable leaving the phone and going to the wall, and from the patch panel to the switch. Everything checks out. I suppose it could be a transient issue that's not showing up regularly, but I'm a bit stumped as to how to diagnose this. I even tried switching phone sets, thinking it was the phone itself. No luck there either .. .the swapped set has been rebooting as well.

I am utilizing the data port, and I do lot of stuff on the computer that generates quite a bit of network traffic. Could it be possible that I'm flooding the data port and overloading the phone, causing a reboot?

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

-M

I am utilizing the data port"
Not sure what that means since all ip sets use a network port.
Try moving patch cord to another port on the network switch.

If your daisy chained form wall jack with your PC then separate the two if you can as a test.
Check your firmware version on the set too and post it to see if up to snuff.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hi curlycord - by saying that I "utilized" the data port on the phone, I just meant that I was using it, as opposed to having my pc and other network peripherals plugged into another data port (I have access to a second one, but it's dedicated for our surveillance and file servers, so I'd rather keep my stuff off of that port).

Good idea - I'll try and move the patch cable to a different port on the PoE switch and see if that makes any difference. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet. I'm guessing firmware isn't the issue as the problem has happened on two different phone sets. On the set I'm using right now, the firmware listed is 062AC5J.

Thanks curlycord!

-M

The firmware you use is from "UNIStim firmware release 2.2", which was released back in February 2008 and declared end of life (EOL) in July 2012. There were many updates released since that time. You should certainly consider updating your phones to a more recent version of the firmware.

I am not sure if it's the latest version, but you could try the "UNIStim Software Release 5.5.6". The name of the firmware file for 1230 phones from this specific release is
062AC94.bin

O WOW! I had no idea we were using firmware that old. There's one version newer that I found on Avaya's web site ... 062AC96.bin

What's the easiest way to upgrade the firmware? I see that I'll probably have to install a TFTP server, but not sure what to do fomr there. I'm sure there's a guide to updating?

Will give this a try! Thanks ucxguy.

TFTP server is running on your UCx by default. All you have to do is to copy the firmware and configuration file(s) into the /tftpboot directory and configure your phones to use the UCx IP address as the provisioning server.

In case you are wondering what configuration file(s) - for each phone type that you want to update, you need a specific file. For 1230, it must be named 1230.cfg and contain the following lines
[pre]
# Config file: 1230 C96
[FW]
DOWNLOAD_MODE AUTO
VERSION 062AC96
PROTOCOL TFTP
FILENAME 062AC96.bin
[/pre]

You should copy this file (1230.cfg) and the firmware file (062AC96.bin) into the /tftpboot directory on the UCx server, then go to the phone's Network Configuration and OK everything until you reach the provision server (I believe the label is abbreviated on 1230 to "Prov.:") and change the value (most likely the default 0.0.0.0) to the IP address of the UCx server. Finally, OK all the following network configuration items, the phone will then reboot and the firmware will be updated.

Thanks ucxguy. What's the easiest way to put these files on the UCx? I'm assuming through a command prompt, with a USB stick plugged into the UCx? Thanks for the continued help.

The easiest way - in my opinion - is to use WinSCP (if you run Windows on your PC) or scp (if you run Linux). Use the admin account's password to log in.

Thanks for the helpful posts ucxguy ... the firmware upgrade worked! We'll see if this makes a difference. Can I leave the provisioning server set, or should I change it back to 0.0.0.0? Thanks again.

I agree with curly - I would leave it. If you change it back to 0.0.0.0, you could save a few seconds when the phone boots. Considering people don't reboot their phones often, the few seconds needed to contact the server and check the firmware version shouldn't matter too much.

One more note - if you just upload a new firmware file at some point in the future, nothing would happen. You'd have to also change the firmware version and the file name in the configuration file in order to get your phones updated. [wink]

Right you are ucxguy! :) I made a new folder on our file server and put a reminder in there to update the CFG file if there is ever another new firmware version to upload. Thanks to everyone for the help on this one! I'll update back and let you know what happens.

I always wondered if we could Put the firmware on the UCX like it was on the BCM.

I used WinScp to put the firmware into the tftpboot directory of the UCX but I can't figure how to get the instructions in there. I copied it into a notepad and moved that in there but I thing it needs to be in plain text so the system can read it.

Any suggestions?

The important thing is to use the correct file name. For the 1200 series phones the file name is 12x0.cfg, for the 1100 series phones the file name is 11x0e.cfg (replace x with the correct digit). You can check what the phone is trying to read by looking at the system log file called messages, where TFTP requests are logged. You should see a line similar to this one:
[pre]in.tftpd[17741]: RRQ from 192.168.1.47 filename 1230.cfg
[/pre]
Make sure that the correct file name is used for the configuration file you put into the /tftpboot directory.

Thanks UCXguy........but I'm still confused.

In my case. I'm trying to update 1140e sets. I have the file from Avaya called 0625C96.bin in my tftproot directory. What else needs to go in there and what format does it need to be in? Can you post an picture of what the tftproot directory should look like using WinSCP?

For the 1140E phone to update, you need to put two files into the /tftpboot directory:
1140e.cfg
0625C96.bin

The 1140e.cfg file should be a text file that contains the following lines:
# Config file: 1140E C96
[FW]
DOWNLOAD_MODE AUTO
VERSION 0625C96
PROTOCOL TFTP
FILENAME 0625C96.bin

Once you do that, you must change the network configuration of your 1140E. Set the Provisioning value to the IP address of the UCx server. After that, reboot the phone.

Got it sorted out. Thanks ucxguy.....Star for that info.

My problem was that when I moved the 1140e.cfg file to the tftproot directory, it always appended the ,txt to it so I just renamed it and removed the .txt and everything worked as expected.

Thanks again.

Well ..... I went almost a month with no issues, and when I was on a call this afternoon, poof ... the phone cut out and rebooted on me. Do you think it could be a transient issue with the cabling - perhaps a kink that's only manifesting once in awhile - or something else? There's no report on the switch that something went wrong or there was a voltage issue to the phone. I'm at a loss ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back