Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random SQL Server Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWChowd

Programmer
May 26, 2002
US
Hello All,
I am toward the end of building an ASP web app that uses a SQL Server 2000 database. I am getting these random errors and cannot figure out what is causing the problem. I mean random in that the errors occur sporadically on a specific page and at a specific line of code. Basically, they are completely random, but pretty much guaranteed to occur.

The two errors I am getting are:

· 1)Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unspecified error occurred on SQL Server. Connection may have been terminated by the server.
/accentopto/codefiles/code_products.asp, line 140

· 2) Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionWrite (send()).
/accentopto/codefiles/code_products.asp, line 140

Don’t let the line 140 fool you, as, sometimes the line # or even the file name will change. In any case, here is the VBSCript code near line 140:
Function Products_GetImages(prodid)
Dim cmdGetImages
Dim intProductID
Dim rsTemp
intProductID = prodID
set cmdGetImages = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
cmdGetImages.ActiveConnection = MM_connAccentWeb_STRING
cmdGetImages.CommandText = "dbo.proc_View_ProductImages"
cmdGetImages.Parameters.Append cmdGetImages.CreateParameter("@ProductID",3,1,8,intProductID)
cmdGetImages.CommandType = 4 'type = stored procedure
cmdGetImages.CommandTimeout = 0 'no timeout
cmdGetImages.Prepared = true
set rsTemp = cmdGetImages.Execute ‘this is line 140
'return recordset
set Products_GetImages = rsTemp
End Function

And here is the Stored Procedure I am calling:

/* created by DMiller 4/15/2003 */
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[proc_View_ProductImages]

@ProductID int

AS

SELECT *
FROM tblProductImages
WHERE (product_id = @ProductID)
ORDER BY productimage_vieworder
GO

------

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any direction or thoughts are greatly appreciated. This is driving me bonkers because it all seems so straight forward. And like I mentioned, it doesn't happen all the time, but is gauranteed to happen at some point.

Much Thanks,
DMill

======================================
"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist

Do you need to close your connection to the DB? Is it possible that you are running out of connections, and that is creating random results?

hmmmmm...you may be on to something. However, I changed my code and put the SQL Statement in the code, rather than calling the stored procedure, and now I cannot reproduce the error I was getting before.

ASP Code...
cmdGetImages.CommandText = " SELECT * FROM tblProductImages WHERE (product_id = " & intProductID & ") ORDER BY productimage_vieworder"
cmdGetImages.CommandType = 1 'type = text
cmdGetImages.CommandTimeout = 0 'no timeout
cmdGetImages.Prepared = true
set rsTemp = cmdGetImages.Execute

Also, this basic code style is used throughout the site and this was the only place I was having troubles.

I'll research the connection closing idea, though.

thanks,
DMilll

"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back