Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Sample 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

katrina11

Technical User
Apr 30, 2011
There is a list of about 1000 providers’ sites, from which from time to time user wants to retrieve a random sample of about 30 sites and then to get a random sample of about 25 patients from each of 30 sites.
Is there any specific technique for random sampling? How I can implement it in Access 2007?
Would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Katrin

A starting point (SQL code):
SELECT TOP 30 * FROM tblSites ORDER BY Rnd([some numeric field])

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV, thank you for the quick response.

About numeric field...If my table from SQL Server which I am importing to Access contains just character fileds, should I generate primary key for this purpose?

Thank you again,

Katrin

For many uses that code will not the needs and can actually cause a lot of problems.

Here is why.
If you open the database and run the query you will get a pseudo random list. Then run it again and you will get another different pseudo random list. Lets say you do it 5 times in a session.
List1, List2, List3, List4, List5

If you close the database and come back in the next day and want a new random list. You will get the same random lists. So if you run it 5 times you will get the same 5 random lists. So if this is used to assign things on a daily basis then this does not work.

If you want to ensure every time you get a new list then build this UDF
Code:
Public Function myRnd(id As Variant) As Double
  If Not IsNull(id) Then
    Randomize 'This is the key that sets a new seed each time
    myRnd = Rnd(Now() + id)
  End If
End Function

You can pass any unique field into the function does not have to be PK.

if your table is in SQL SERVER

Use this Pass Thru Query
Code:
SELECT TOP 30 * 
FROM tblSites 
ORDER BY NEWID()

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back