Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random "File is in use by another user (Error 108)" in my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nro

Programmer
May 15, 2001
CA
I’m stuck with this problem for almost a month now : randomly, I receive the massage “File is in use by another user (Error 108)” when I try to open a table. It’s not always the same table, and it appear randomly in my system.

The only way I can reproduce the behavior is to open a table on one station, then issue FLOCK(), and try to open the same table on another station.

I’m absolutely sure I don’t use, in any part of the application, the FLOCK() function. As for record locking, I use a sub that verify if the record is available, update, then release immediately the record.
Sometimes, I use BEGIN / END TRANSACTION, but again, it’s brief and I know the tables involves are not the ones in this update.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Some commands lock the whole file when the table is not exclusive. For example, any REPLACE that involves multiple records does so. So does Xbase DELETE.

Tamar

Hello Tamar. It’s very rare that I issue a “replace for” or a “replace all” on my tables. It’s usually when I want to clean memos but it’s not the case here. Also, I use a lot of local updatable views, so the table is not affected directly.

Hi,

Also, I use a lot of local updatable views, so the table is not affected directly.

Asa you update the views and send the changes to the underlying tables, they are affected.

hth

MarK

Hello,

not sure but maybe a AV program locks the files, I remember kaspersky to be one of them during its hashing some years ago.

regards
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back