Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

random "bad sector" report on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray436

Technical User
Apr 11, 2000
CA
Hi all!

Lately i've been getting the scandisk routine on start at random intervals. seems to have started after i added a cdrw (i have one Maxtor 17GB, a CD also. )

if i run the scan+surface check all is good. never finds any errors.

the system is running fine, this only happens on start.

i wonder if it could be a power supply problem. have there beeen any issues with the maxtor drives? or could it be a controller(built in) problem?

any thoughts?

thanks

Hi.
I suggest you to run a scandisk with a thorough option in WIndows, then you will find your problem. If there is, just obtain a Maxtor Disk Manager at www. maxtor.com to correct your problem.

thanks alvin79;

ran the scan @full res in Win, no reports, but that has been what it always does, which confuses me.

will get the maxtor prog, and keep it in reseve.

in my experience, all disks fail sooner or later, it is just a question of time. :}

How about a test by removing the R/W temporarily. And where are the CDs attached?
Controller shouldn't be considered a suspect if it was OK before. More likely something loading down. There are some problems with drive to controller timings but they are generally more frequent, and not just on boot. And power should cause problems at other times also.

my advice is to check and see if you have a slave for your main hard drive then the second one will have to be the main on the second line

just to update, swapped the PSU (after doing a 2nd full scan/surface with no results), no it seems to be OK.

took th PSU to work and i put it on the bench with a 80% load and an Oscilliscope - it bucketed out big time on start-up, also oscillated badly and sometimes it recovered slowly ( up to 5 seconds ) i know most people cant do this but i tend to get overly curious when i have time to be !

further proof the generic PSU that comes in the generic case is usually not up to much.

thanks all [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back