Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random NetWare Client Login Window - username "SYSTEM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipperc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
US
This is my problem:
NetWare Client Login Window with a user name of SYSTEM randomly* appears on all the PCs on my LAN while they are already logged in.
The users have to click cancel or the close (x) box and it goes away with no
adverse effects. (except that it comes back later)

*It happens on all of my XP PCs all day long for no apparent reason. There is no cause that I can relate it to.

Each PC is set to :
Novell CLient Configuration:
Protocol Preferences:
Preferred Network Protocol: IP
Protocol: IP (selected) IPX (not selected)

The NetWare 6 server's NIC is set to:

Board 1:
Frame Type: ETHERNET_802.3
Protocols: IPX: network 00000001

Board 2:
Frame Type: ETHERNET_802.2
Protocols: IPX: network 00000021

Anybody got any ideas?

Phillip C

Do you need IPX bound on your NetWare 6 server? Are there other IPX devices on your LAN? Did you upgrade all your workstation clients to run 4.81(NT4/W2K) or 3.31(Win9x/ME)? Tim Benton
CNE(4&5),MCP
Studying for CNE6 and MCSA

no, I dont need IPX. There are no devices that use it.
All the PCs have the newest clients. We only have Win 98 & XP on the LAN.

We have the same thing on our NetWare 4.11 system. Again just with Windows XP
Our Win95 & Win 98 PCs are unaffected.

What version of XP is it?

I have not heard any problems with XP Pro, but XP Home is a huge problem. So much that my company has taken the stance of "Use at your own risk" , we won't support it on a Novell NetWork.

1. It doesn't belong in the work enviroment
2. It sucks

Seems really odd that the user name would be SYSTEM. Makes me think of the WinNT SYSTEM user ID needed by the NT technology for file access by the SYSTEM. Look at how it rbings up the login box; is it trying to do an NDS authentication or bindery authentication; let me know if you don't know how to tell the difference.

Have any searches been done on NTS?

Some things I would try would be messing around with the local user rights. What happens if you make the user on the system a POWERUSER to the local system? What happens what you make the local user an ADMINISTRATOR of the local system?

Looks like two people have the same issue; so this is not a fluke, there is something you two have in common other than just using XP. NetWare is not the problem, one user on 6 the other on 4.11; 4.11 is already proven. I have many client installs using XP Pro with CLient 4.83 (avoiding patch for 4.83 due to unstable conditions encountered in test bed). They al work with out issue (after ensuring someone didn't go out and get a laptop with Home edition on it). If both flipperc and Glenn C can post config info the forum can more than likely pin point the culperate.

If your in the Bay Area CA. ... I have unlimited direct access to NTS if this can't be solved in the forum Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Enigeer

Why do user go into a panic when a NetWare server goes down, but accept it as normal when a Windows server goes down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back