Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

purepest

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Hi

I have run angry IP on the static range in my network and it has returned some IP addresses as being live with no name next to them.

I don't know where or what they are. Does anyone know any tools I can use to track them down or see what they are?

thanks

Angry IP Scanner can glean more info about Windows Boxes, than from other devices. Often you can enter IP Addresses into your web browser to see if they have a web page. (some printers, most routers, etc.)

If Angry IP Scanner can find a MAC address, use to find what vendor has the rights to that MAC address.

If neither works, sometimes telnet does.

Last resort: PING -t mystery.IP.Address.here and watch the blinky lights on your switches.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

How many IP addresses are we talking? What kind of network? How many other-than-Windows nodes can there be? Are there any Cisco devices? What ports are showing open on said IP addresses?

Burt

second the ip in web browser, often find them to be network devices/printers etc

have you checked dhcp server for them, reserved/otherwise ?

Laters, phat, headshape

Thanks for your help guys.

We don't have a big network and it turned out that the random IP addresses were a mix of wireless access points, printers and telephony switch.

Got that info through using the web browser approach because angry IP wasn't showing up any mac addresses for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back