Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random files are invisible possibly due to a Windows Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdogga

MIS
Nov 2, 2001
US
Hi.
Here is the situation:
I have a Laptop and Desktop. I have tried several methods of syncing the files (offline files, Synctoy, Syncback, etc.).
Some time ago on my OLD laptop, I installed a critical Windows update on my laptop, and then when I map a drive to my desktop machine, I cannot see ALL of the files.
When I go to the desktop, they are all there.
I had this EXACT problem in the past. The fix was narrowed down on some forum to a Microsoft (puke) critical update. Unfortunately, this was a while ago and I don't remember which one. I have SCOURED the internet for my thread, but cannot find it.

The details:
Both machines Windows XP SP2, all patches.
In command prompt on laptop, when I map the network drive and do a DIR on a folder that I KNOW has files it it, it says "the system cannot find the file specified."

As I said, I fixed this in the past by uninstalling ONE particular update, but I just cannot figure out which one.

Thanks for any help/comments.
-Jdogg

Ha!
Fixed my own problem... whew.
I was just thinking... I could Google EVERY update in my Add/Remove programs with the words "missing files" or something like that, and wait until something good comes up.

I found it in no time.

The bad, EVIL EVIL EVIL update is 885520. Microsoft recognizes this and has a new fix to fix their fix. :)
The fix is 896427.

So, the moral of the story is, don't trust Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back