Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random disconnects with dialup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DingusQ

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
US
I'm running Windows XP SP2. This machine has a 56K dialup Ambient modem (Intel 536EP), and lately I've been having a lot of random disconnects. I recently reinstalled XP over itself and the modem wouldn't work at all until I ran the SP1 update (I then reinstalled SP2). Most everything is back to normal, except for these disconnects. The diagnostics log indicates "remote modem hung up" in most cases (of course my isp knows nothing about problems on their end). I can connect with an older computer running Win 98 and never get disconnected, so it has something to do with this computer. I've reset the TCP/IP stack, updated the Intel driver, even deleted and recreated my dialup connection. Still getting disconnects. I doubt if there are any problems with the phone lines or wiring, because up to now I've never had any trouble with disconnects. Any ideas for a fix?

DingusQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back