Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Compression Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkom

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
US
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy Platinum 2 eX
2x 512 Corsair 3200

Has anyone ever gotten systemic compression errors that won't go away? My computer will almost always fail to decompress large archives (composed of smaller ones of course) of many different types. It will tell me that certain archive files are corrupted, and many times it will tell me that different ones are corrupted each time I try it. It will also happen during installations which use some form of decompression.

All my drivers are up to date except for the motherboard bios which I will be checking very soon. It seems work much better in safe mode but that does not fix the problem. Any ideas?

If it works in safe mode then it is most likely not the motherboard, there may be a program that is running simultaneously that is causing these errors, such as a virus scanner.

The thing is that I cannot isolate what situations cause the problem. Things will decompress better, by that I mean get farther into the decompressing before failing or actually decompress, in safe mode. But that does not solve the problem. My next step will be to backup and then do a fresh installation of windows, and then see if it persists.

I cannot be sure that issue is just compression. There are/were a number of errors that occur on my computer. Besides what I have mentioned, I have problems installing programs often and it seems that these problems all occur when the installation program is decompressing files.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back