Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Cell Values in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapzlok

Technical User
Apr 12, 2005
US
I was wondering if there is a particular function that can randomize a list of values in a column in Excel? I know that this may be accomplished by generating random numbers in a column next to the column with the desired values and then sorting the column, however, I am looking for simple way to do this with a single function. Any ideas?

Perhaps an example of what you are trying to do would help. If I understand correctly, you might be able to use the RAND function as part of an INDEX expression, but that could result in duplicates.

Say I have a list that looks like the following:

boy
dog
cat
hat
small
it
lady
run
shout

and I want to randomize the order in which they appear so that a randomized list might look like the following:

lady
shout
boy
it
small
run
dog
hat
cat

Currently, I fill the column to the right of the above column with instances of the rand function to generate random numbers and then I sort the entire spreadsheet by that random number. Is there an easier way to do this with a particular function?

Keep in mind that if you use a "simple function" (assuming one can be found), the list would re-order everytime something changed on the worksheet and the worksheet was recalculated. It doesn't sound like that would be desirable.

As I see it, you have two choices:
1. Continue the way your are, or
2. Use VBA to perform the action whenever it is wanted, either by a keystroke shortcut or by clicking a button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back