Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random BSOD Debug

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Any ideas on debugging the cause of this.
Computer occasionally does a BSOD.

Event viewer said:
Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 804e7437, parameter3 f7bb5a60, parameter4 f7bb575c.

Which is pretty much all there is on the BSOD, no mention of drivers.
Googling for 7E errors show this normally happens at boot time because of a bad driver.
But this isn't at boot up.
I did think it was completely random.
But checking the logs I see BSOD recoveries on
6th Feb at 11:09
12th Jan at 11.07
8th December 11:10

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

BSOD errors are swines. My toolkit includes:

Windows update.
BIOS updates for devices / mobo.
Remove RAM, clean contacts with old fashioned eraser and replace, pairing correctly.
Install Crash Catcher.

Anything with "parameter1 c0000005" in it would have me checking to see if this is a software and access permissions type of problem. "c0000005" is often the code for access being denied, but not always, still it is worthy of consideration.

Install Debugging Tools for Windows 32-bit Version

Debugging Tools and Symbols: Getting Started

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E"

excerpt:
This problem occurs when a System Preparation (Sysprep) image is created on a computer that uses an Intel processor and is then deployed to a computer that does not use an Intel processor.

Most computers include an image that the manufacturer created by using the Sysprep tool. Sysprep lets the computer manufacturer generate an image that can be used on different computers.

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Ben: This computer has an Intel CPU and was upgraded to SP3 almost as soon as it came out. (almost a year ago ?)
The BSODs started in December 2008 (see the dates I posted)

BTW Minidump files exist for each event I don't know is these are any use..

Linney: Thanks for that, looks like I have about 3 weeks to set it up before the next BSOD is due.

I have been checking for scheduled events, I though the most likely was windows update, one occasion was when an update was done, the others were not. I update manually anyway.

Then ignore what I wrote above...

how much RAM do you have installed? if it is 4 gigs then try to downsize it to 2gigs... I read somewhere that that cured it...

I would also suggest that you update the BIOS, and drivers, if you have not already... BIOS issues can cause that error as well...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Thanks Ben. Minidumps on Monday.

Yes I saw the thing about updating the BIOS, but I will avoid having to do that if I can (if an update is available), my boss is already debating if we can 'afford' a new workstation in the present economic climate.
So he wont be too pleased if I break an existing one!

The machine has 1G of RAM increased from 500M about a year ago.

I am wondering if the start of this coincided with a Video card driver (NVidia) update, or possibly with my disabing the NVidia desktop monitor.
I will investigate this on Monday.

Don't avoid a BIOS update. I've never seen one fail unless you do something stupid like power off the machine. Just get the right BIOS update and apply it. That would be one of my first steps along with Chipset and other drivers.

And also a chkdsk of the hard drive to make sure it's not dieing.

Minidumps soon, but I had a go with the debugging tool and got this result..

Probably caused by : cmdguard.sys ( cmdguard+e723 )

This is part of my COMODO Firewall, and It is setup to do automatic program update checks, if this is monthly (it doesn't say) could be the explanation?

Try and manually update your Comodo firewall (if it can be done) and see what happens. You could perhaps? disable the automatic updating and see if the fault repeats. Is the Windows firewall running in conjunction with Comodo, or is that firewall (Windows) turned off?

Bang in the middle of the BSOD period now nothing has happend yet!
But I notice that windows updates are just out, Manual on this machine. I will do them now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back