Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random Black Spots on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

qureshi

Programmer
Mar 17, 2002
AU
Hi,
We are using windows TS. Our thin clients are TERMTEK modek TK-3350 and we are using Diamond View LCD monitors.

In some of the clients we get black spots. I mean that the screen somehow is not updating and the result is random black rectangles.

Have checked the settings with other machines and could not find any difference.

If we turn of the machine and then turn it back on its fine for a while and starts all over again.

Any suggestions

I have the exact same problem with a Compaq TS and HP T5700's. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it yet. I have thin clients that have the problem whether they are over a T1 or whether they are located locally on a lan.

I am wondering if a windows update could have started this? Do you keep your patches up to date on the TS server?

Here's one possible problem that is causing the black boxes...this is in reference to an HP model....

description

During normal use, black rectangles may begin to appear in RDP session windows on systems described in the SCOPE. The size, location, and frequency of appearance are random. Typically, the issue begins in an Internet Explorer window but will eventually begin to occur in all application windows (in the RDP session only).
This issue only occurs in RDP sessions for which Bitmap Caching has been enabled (it is not enabled by default).

scope

Information in this document applies to the following:
Platforms:
HP Thin Client t5000 Series t5300
HP Thin Client t5000 Series t5510
HP Thin Client t5000 Series t5505
HP Thin Client t5000 Series t5500
HP Thin Client t5000 Series t5305
Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows CE.NET 4.2

resolution

The issue will not occur if bitmap caching is disabled. HP recommends disabling bitmap caching as follows:
Open an RDP session.
Click the Options>> button.
Click the Experience tab.
Un-check the Bitmap Caching option.

NOTE The Bitmap Caching option is maintained separately for each RDP session. If multiple sessions are open, or have been saved as shortcuts the setting must be changed for each of them. However, since Bitmap Caching is not enabled by default, it is not necessary to do this when creating a new connection.

NOTE The black rectangles can be cleared by pressing the F5 key (refreshes the display) but the rectangles will begin reappearing right away.

Thanks NDeters.
Just for your information: We do not update our TS for updates. So I think the problem is not because of the updates.
I have tried your suggestion, the Bitmap caching was turned ON. I have turned it OFF. Seems OK now, but will know for sure after a couple of days after the user has tried it out.

Thanks again
Qureshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back