Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Random 10minute login to windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobez

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2002
GB
I have a few users who once prompeted for the password, login to windows, it can take 10mins to get into the main windows screen from after they have entered there domain login etc.

anybody any ideas why ?

Laptop users on wired Lan connecting to windows 2003 server

check availabitily of a global catalog server and the pdc emulator FSMO

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

ensure their DNS is pointing to the domain controllers

I have seen this if users store large files/folders on their desktop which gets copied up/down at login/logout time as part of the profile. Maybe worth checking this as well as everything else.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Verify that logon is not crossing a WAN link. If needed set up sites, subnets, and intersite links to control replication and logon traffic.

Verify that there are no invalid A, NS, and SRV records in your DNS.

Verify that all DC's are online and reachable.

Verify that every DC has shared its SYSVOL and that there are no errors in the FRS logs.

If using roaming profiles, verify that profile is less than 20 MB if pulling from local LAN server and less than 2 MB if pulling from server across a WAN link.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back