Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdl508

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello everyone, I need to upgrade my 2621's memory currently It has 32 mb now I need to run enterprise IOS on it and it needs mor memory. Is this the flash I upgrade? I believe it is but just wanted to check. Man this stuff isnt cheap either. 32 MB flash @ cdw = $1120
Thats alot of $$$ for 32 mb
Thnaks
Jon

some versions of flash can be gotten thru viking or other manufacturers but not all.
Jeff Farr
CCNA,CCDA,CNE
ASE Intel + StorageWorks

I would imagine that it needs flash. do a 'show version', and see how much flash you have. then see how big the new IOS is, and its probably more than you have room for.

Doyle

sometimes you can find memory on pricewatch.com Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

jdl508,

Check Cisco's website to get the exact requirements for the specific ios that you are trying to load. I believe that you probably need only 32MB of flash (which you stated that you already have), but need more RAM. IOS version 12.2.4T3 (ENTERPRISE/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 56) for the 2621 requires 32MB of flash and 96 MB of RAM. The RAM will be much cheaper.

Like other people have stated, check with Viking...I have bought Cisco and Viking memory both through CDW and the Cisco memory came in a Cisco package, but had a Viking sticker on the chip even though it cost about 10 times more. I will never buy Cisco memory again!

Hope that helps,
Matt

:) The DRAM is installed on the system board and has two slots. Slot 0 and 1. You probably have 32MB installed and you should buy 64MB and install for a total of 96MB. This should be enough for the enterprise software. The IOS should fit on a 16MB flash, you might have to erase the existing IOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back