Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbajock

Programmer
Jun 8, 2001
US
We have a pretty simple setup, a single server running two instances of SQL Server, a 2008 instance that runs our ERP and then a SQL 2000 Development server that is primarily legacy stuff. The server has 16 gigs of RAM. When you look at the Task Manager's screen showing RAM usage, it shows 1.7 Gigs of RAM consumed by one instance and about the same amount for the other, both being consumed by sqlserver.exe. We have the PAE switch set. Why isn't the rest of the RAM being shown as being used? I hit the server with our heaviest-load jobs and still nothing goes above those thresholds. How do I get the server to use all the rest of the RAM? Do any of you recommend a software tool I can use to more efficiently measure and manage RAM usage?

Thanks!

run exec master..sp_configure and post what the max server memory is set as. I believe the default is 1024 mb.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Sounds like you have only 32 bit installs of SQL 2000 and SQL 2008. the SQL 2008 should easily be able to be installed as 64 bit. SQL 2000....not so much. As SQLBill asked, what is the run value for Max Server Memory (MB)?

We eventually figured out that AWE was not enabled by the original ERP installer. We are going to bring the server down this weekend and reconfigure both instances for AWE and set min/max values appropriately, any advice on pitfalls to be avoided will be appreciated, it looks pretty straight forward.

I was under the impression that if Windows was installed as a 32 bit op system on a 32 bit box, then SQL Server 2008 has to be installed as a 32 bit app as well, am I in error on this?

no, you are correct. a 64 bit operating system is required for a 64 bity instance of SQL Server. It's just been a while since I have had to deal with a 32 bit machine.

Well, we tried to talk the boss into it......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back