Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ram upgrade trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
I have a Microstar 6191 motherboard.
I had 64meg pc100 ram and tried to add 256meg of pc133 ram. When i added the ram the pc would not start, i tried the ram in both slots, with and without the current 64meg ram in the alternative slot.

The ram was fine because it worked in my newer computer, i then swapped the pc133 ram for pc100 ram hoping it would fix the problem but it didnt.

The motherboard claims that it supports "two 168-pin DIMM sockets supporting up to 512 MB memory using SDRAM technology
SDRAM 3,4 : 60 ns 3.3V CAS Latency 2, single or double sided 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, and 256 MB, 64 or 72 bit DIMMs"

Why isnt the ram working in my old computer? The motherboard claims to support the ram. Previously i had managed to install 256meg of pc133 ram but i then had to sell this ram because i wanted DDR for my newer computer.

I have the latest bios for my motherboard.

Following the link to that page and looking under Specifications I find:

System Memory:
Two 168 pin DIMM sockets supporting single or double-sided 3.3 V DIMMs
Up to 512 MB of 60 ns CAS Latency 2 SDRAM
100 MHz SDRAMS are supported
No ECC support.

It doesn't support the PC-133.
John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

I know that, i thought that pc133 would still work but at a slower speed. However that shouldnt matter because
"i then swapped the pc133 ram for pc100 ram hoping it would fix the problem but it didnt."
The cas latency on the pc100 ram was 2.

There was something mentioned, "no ECC support". Was either of the ram modules ECC?

Check your bios settings for the latency compatibility and see if there are any controls for ECC. PC-133 ram will most likely be non-ecc, but you should check the module itself for that. Also make sure you put the pc-100 module back in the original slot, some boards will only support double-sided ram in the first slot, some won't support mixed single- and double-sided Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Your computer can use pc133 memory....i bet you have purchased valueram, low-grade memory (generic), or some off branded memory that its specifications does not meet the requirements for your motherboard. You need to buy quality ram thats guaranteed to work in your system. You may want to consider getting a refund on that memmory, and buy better memory....
you can use the crucial's memory selector by following this link,
here's my homepage

Your computer can use pc133 memory....i bet you have purchased valueram, low-grade memory (generic), or some off branded memory that its specifications does not meet the requirements for your motherboard. You need to buy quality ram thats guaranteed to work in your system. You may want to consider getting a refund on that memmory, and buy better memory....

here's my homepage; and you will find a link where to purchase quaility ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back