Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM speeds - picking the right one (am i getting this right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldwise

Programmer
Jun 1, 2005
US
Hi all,

I'm a novice when it comes to building computers and hardware specs etc. I want to get the correct RAM so that I am using it to its fullest potential.

CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DS5
Memory: ??? DDR2 1200 ???

1) First of all, the cpu runs at 1333FSB but my board supports up to 1600 (underlying 400mhz x 4?) so right off the bat am i under-utilizing the board? Should I downgrade my board to save some extra $$$ to a board with a max FSB of 1333?

2) However this motherboard says it supports up to DDR2 1200 (is that bus speed of 600mhz?). Does that mean if I use DDR2 1200 memory it will just be a waste? Could I just use DDR2 667 (bus speed 333mhz) to save money but keep the same performance?

3) What, if any, does the relationship between motherboard FSB and RAM bus speed need to be. Do they need to be the same in order to maximize the potential of each? Or is there some kind of multiplier between the two (like with the cpu) so that they don't have to be the same.

Thanks in advance.

You are pretty much along the rite lines but clearing up your questions.
No don't downgrade your motherboard, it basically gives you a better upgrade path for the future. If you want to save money may I suggest a P45 based chipset that may be just as quick/effective if the extra features offered by the X48 are not being utilized (the Gigabyte GA-PS45-DS3 is one of my favourites on a budget)

All these boards will happily run ashyncronously (out of sink) between FSB and memory speed but as a generally rule matching them offers optimal performance. Having said this, I'm not entirely sure if you can buy DDR2 at 1333mhz and if you could it would be very expensive. Most users choose PC6400 (800mhz) or PC8500 (1066mhz) for this combination. Is there a performance difference? yes! but it is not dramatic. Also choose memory with the lowest latencies (timings) against the overall cost, it is a ballancing act (I recently built a similar machine and apted for Kingston HyperX 8500 2X2 gig, which offered the good price/performance compromise I am talking about.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back