Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM slowing down when in pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

apex1x

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8N
RAM: 2x Corsair 512MB DDR 400Mhz

Problem: When one stick is in any slot, memtest386 shows it running at 200 mhz (which is normal cause 2x pipeline=400) but when I put both sticks in, it slows down to 166 each,making it run at 333mhz when doubled.

Attemptive solutions: Updated BIOS, reset BIOS to defaults. Nothing mentioned on RAM or Mobo website about this combo. Tech support from mobo said to update BIOS (note: didn't help).

Question: Is this normal that the mobo forced the RAM to slow down? The motherboard obviously supports the 400Mhz RAM but seems online when one chip is in. Any ideas?

No, this is not normal. Is this other than standard memory (dual channel, etc), or the mobo has sockets for dual channel? In the manual does it specify # 1 and # 2 mem slots? I presume you tried to swap #1 and #2. It sounds like the memory sticks just don't like each other! This does happen, even with quality memory. Do you have access to any other memory sticks you can you try?

It also may be that one of the RAM modules is actually a different speed from the other or has been damaged. Give both modules a try in the computer individually (if you have not already done so) and check the speed of each. If they are running at different speeds, this could indicate a defective chip.

Skylar Givens

I thought I'd bring this thread up to date. The problems of the slowdown I believe to be affecting system performance and cause the system to freeze periodically.

Each stick of RAM functions at 400mhz when as an individual, but when combined, they run at 333mhz.

The cycle that I experienced last time was a couple freezes (mainly during intense 3d applications) but then it even started to freeze when going to the start menu. The type of freeze I mean is literally af freeze. I hear a loud shrill sound out of the speakers and nothing responds, I have to a hard reboot.

I basically reseated the RAM and reset BIOS and the problem seemed to go away for a couple months. Now its back.

It has to do with the RAM because evertime I just keep one stick in, not a single freeze up.

I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions? Is this mobo/ram combo bad? Of course their support says they are ok.

First of all, your mobo uses the Socket 754 chipset which does not support dual-channel mode. So for others reading this thread, let's not let that confuse anything here.

Things I would check:

- Make sure both DIMMs are installed in the slots labeled DDR1 and DDR2 (and try swapping their positions).

- After installing the RAM, go into the BIOS first before Windows. Go to the Frequency/Voltage section and make sure the FSB and Memory bus are still set to 200MHz.

If you still have issues, then like someone else mentioned, it might just be that these two modules don't want to work with each other. It could also be a bad memory controller or slot on the motherboard. Most of the time, however, it's because there's a bad setting somewhere in the BIOS. Definitely pick through your manual which can be downloaded off the Gigabyte website.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yeh, at this point I'm almost at the conclusion the RAM chips just dont "like each other". I just havn't seen it before and naturally am a bit skeptical.

Voltages/frequencies are normal, I've tried swapping slots. Weird thing is, when I first started having these problems I took the RAM chips out and put them back in and magically the problems stopped for a number of months. Any theories? Stumped me.

Hardware problems are like this. - They never make any sense to me either.

They seem to 'heal themselves' if left out of a system for a while.

This is stark contrast to old unix systems which if left off for a while would refuse to boot up. Any memories? :)

Benjamin

I'm posting to this same old thread which has yet to be resolved, lol. I appreciated all the input so far but the same symptoms are as strong as ever. I find if I swap slots, I can get it booted up for a while anyways. The chips dont work in any other combo.
There are not any options in BIOS that I can change the timing, etc. so I figure its all auto. Is there any other way to manually change this?
Any more suggestions are always welcome.

I've tried a couple things to help resolve this. For one, I used a utility in winxp to disable 2T timing, and I also increased the voltage in bios for the dimms.
So far its running stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back