Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssga

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
ZA
I Have three 16 Meg SIMMS and one 32 Meg SIMM this should add up to 80 Megs of ram but when I bootup it counts the ram as being 65 megs. I have a P133 is it possible that the 32 and 16 SIMMs are not compatible because my OS also reads the ram as 65Mb

HI
Is it possible that one of the sticks is a deferent type, most probably the 32MG?

in simm type of ram,the mother board deals with them as couples,i mean if ur motherboard found 1 piece 16 mb,it will deal with the 2 pieces as 16mb,it can't deal with them individualy,so that is why it counts ur ram as 64mb (4 *16)by the way,it is only 64mb not 65 b/c 1mb=1024kb not only 1000,right? :)
now u can change the 16mb piece for another 32mb piece and get 98mb or change the 32mb piece for 16mb and get 64mb,good luck i can help
mohammadselim@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back