Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM information - where? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvertonFC

Technical User
Nov 24, 2004
GB
Hello

I think the PC I have uses 512Mb RAM, but where do I find this information exactly?

Also, I would like to double this to 1000+ Mb RAM and have a A7V400-MX motherboard.

My local store is offering the following:

512MB DDR2 DIMM RAM MEMORY, 512MB SDRAM MEMORY, and 512MB DIMM SDRAM MEMORY, 512MB SODIMM DDR MEMORY, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, 512MB PC3200 DDR MEMORY, 512MB DDR MEMORY, 512MB DDR DIMM RAM MEMORY, cards, etc, etc.

I am not able to distinguish between them and would be grateful for any advice on which to buy.

Many thanks.

EvertonFC

EvertonFC,

Go to accessories > system tools > system information, for the amount of installed memory or open it up & look.

Your mobo has 2 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets that support PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory. Let your local store know that this is what type you need. Each PCXXXX type refers to a memory speed, while modules are normally bckward compatible some times they are very picky about what will work.

If you have both slots populated now and have a total of 512mb you have 256mb modules. You will have to replace both with 2 512 mb modules to get 1gb of memory.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Hello Rvnguy

Many thanks for that advise.

You have saved mne quite a bit of trouble.

I seem to remember that there are a couple of spare slots, so hopefully 1 X 512Mb card should be fine.

Many thanks again!

EvertonFC

was just going to add.

This motherboard uses the Via KM400A chipset and according to my research supports CPU's with 400fsb
What that means is:

The most common 184 pin PC3200 DDR400 is also compatible and depending on which CPU you have? will just run at a slower speed.

I mention this because it seems a little pointless possibly paying more for a slower memory type (PC2100/2700) and it may give you the option of using this faster type in a future upgrade.

I would advise a quality brand like Crucial, Kingston or similar.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The picture I looked at only had two slots for memory. Look before you buy.

Many thanks for your posts.

Yes, Franklin, I will look inside the case later today. If there are only two slots, it means, I think, that I have to buy 2 x 512Mb cards - more shelling out!

Are you suggesting, Pararazi, that I should go for a 184-pin PC3200 DDR400 (Crucial or Kingston) because this is not as expensive as a PC2100/2700, depending on my CPU? Please excuse my ignorance on these matter - the internals of my PC case are something which I have not really ever been familiar with.

Finally, rvnguy, when I go to accessories > system tools > system information, I only get the folder list down the left-hand side, but in the main pane I get the message that this information is not available. Would you know how I can retrieve it?

Many thanks to you all again.

EvertonFC

EvertonFC,

For your system info try either one of these:
You will find them handy for other things also.

Everest

Belarc

RAM: If you posted the correct mobo mdl, you only have 2 RAM sockets. PC3200 DDR400 should be backward compatible, but there are exceptions. Some mobo's are finicky about RAM.

rvnguy

Also, I would recommend buying memory online at places like zipzoomfly.com or newegg.com instead of being shafted by the local stores for the storefront costs.

I personally prefer zipzoomfly because everything goes with 2ND Day Air delivery and you don't pay storefront premiums.

Just figured it was worth mentioning.

Cheers!

EvertonFC:

Guys! Guys!!!!! this motherboard supports Athlon XP3.2+ 400front side bus CPU's, so it MUST!!!! support PC3200 DDR400 memory!! so there is absolutely no doubt it will work.
see this list:

quote:

"Are you suggesting, Pararazi, that I should go for a
184-pin PC3200 DDR400 (Crucial or Kingston) because this is not as expensive as a PC2100/2700, depending on my CPU?"
Yes!
Because it's probably going to be cheaper as well as better for any future upgrade.
But it doesn't matter what CPU you have, all will work with this ram.
When running CPU's with 200/266 and 333 front side bus this faster memory will simply run at the slower speed.

If you look at this info on your motherboard it clearly states support for PC3200 (DDR400)

Martin

Strike the last sentence (it doesn't say that, doh)
But as I pointed out, support for 400fsb CPU's in my experience has to imply support for PC3200 otherwise it would cause the memory and front side bus to be running asyncronously (out of sync)effectively bottle necking the the system, something perfectly exceptable on modern motherboards but not generally recommended on slightly older ones like this Asus

cdogg, any comments.

Martin

Just for clarification:

paparazi is correct in his estimation based upon FSB & CPU support.

I was cautioning due to the following copied from the ASUS site and the specs for the A7V400-MX
2 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 2GB PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory
ASUS

rvnguy

[bigcheeks]
Sure Martin, I guess I'll jump in...

Actually, I think all bases are covered here. Any mobo that supports up to 400MHz FSB should support PC3200, but as rvnguy points out, the website and manual do not say so. However, the chipset (Via KM400A) does support PC3200 memory, so if this motherboard doesn't for some reason, then it's a limitation within the BIOS. That could have been something they fixed in a BIOS revision.

But regardless, I doubt it will have any problem running PC3200 at slower speeds.

Also, by the way, you can check quick specs of your system without installing 3rd-party software. Do this:
1) Start->Run
2) type dxdiag and hit OK

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Very many thanks to you all again! You've all been a great help and taken a great interest. You've also opened my eyes to the need to know at least a little something about hardware issues.

When I am in front of my machine I'll do this:

) Start->Run
2) type dxdiag and hit OK

and over the weekend, I'll buy a PC3200 DDR 400 (sorry, can't do it online, edemiere, because I'm using a couple of store vouchers I got as Xmas presents!

EvertonFC

A simple way to find out how much memory a computer has plus other good to know information:

Windows XP: right-click My Computer, under the General tab.

Windows 98/ME: right-click My Computer, select Properties.

BFOJ,
dxdiag is pretty simple, no? The "General" tab of My Computer properties is NOT always accurate. This was a common issue in Win9x/ME and a regular complaint I used to hear from customers years ago.

But yes, when the information is correct, it's another easy way of finding out!
[wink]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

No problem with dxdiag, just offering another simple way to get the information. In the 20+ years I have been using the methods I suggested, it has been rare I found the information incorrect. But thanks for pointing that out.

I'm surprised you didn't hear about it more often. In just the short 10 years I've been supporting Windows 95 and later, I've seen this countless times.

The articles below demonstrate why. The first link is for early versions of Windows. The second shows a flaw in XP.

What you find is that some major hardware changes within a PC can cause the system properties page not to update. That properties screen is not an "active" reading of the system. It is simply showing you what it last found in the system during intial setup, or after the system config utility last ran.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back