Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ram dump when i print to 720c hp deskjet running windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudeboyjeff

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
This is my situation. When i first start my computer, it's looking for a printer device, the icon looks like a printer, and has some gibberish for the name of the device. I always cancel out of this. Everytime I print to my HP 720C Deskjet printer, about 3 minutes later, i get a ram dump, and an error about mskrnl.exe fault. I've tried reinstalling the os many of times, and still get the same problem. Any suggestions?

We have also experienced this problem when attempting to print to LexMark printers running Windows 2000.

Any ideas for resolution?

Have either of you checked the Lexmark and HP website for the most recent printer driver patches?

Try that first. If that doesn't work, uninstall the software completely and reinstall. It might have been a bad install. But I think making sure you have updated drivers will fix the problem. Usually that giberish means that the driver doesn't match up with Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility List and / or plug-n-pray driver's list.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

HP says that the drivers are included in the Windows 2000 cd, so there are no drivers to download from their site :)

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I just want to clarify a little bit. Did you install the driver from the HP cd? If so you should go into your control panel and try to "update" the driver to one that was INCLUDED with win2000 (If you need more info on how to do this please just write a response). According to there website win2000 has the driver included in the operating system itself. I have a G55 all in one by hp and when I used drivers that were on their cd it would blue screen like no tomorrow. Try to get the driver back to a non-cd driver and see if that helps the problem.

-Brad

Hi
Uninstall HP prog. & drivers. Let Win2k load its on drivers.
I had the same problem about 2 years ago. No problem since using W2k drivers.

Good luck

I have tried all of that, I use the Win2k drivers that came with Windows 2000, but i get the ram dump. It's not immediately after I print, but maybe 4 or 5 minutes after I print. I thought maybe I had bad ram, or not enough ram, so now i'm up to 324 meg of ram and still have the same problem. It worked fine on my 98 setup, but when I upgraded to 2000, it still looks for this "printer" which has numbers and letters I don't know of, and the printer does this blue screen, starts counting, saying dumping physical memory, and after it counts to about 50 or so, restarts my pc.

Thanks for everyone's efforts, I really do appreciate this.

Jeff

Well if that is the case you should test your ram. A good test utility is memtest86. It is os independent which means it will test your ram outside of the os. You can get it from here.

Test it and let us know how it goes :)

-BChumie

(The reason i say it might be ram is that I have found that win 2k/Xp seems to be more picky about ram. I would have no problem in win98 but in 2k all i would do is blue screen. I tested it and found that I had a bad stick of ram, once that was replaced I haven't seen a blue screen again! <<knock on wood>>)

hey Bchumie, the site that you gave me has a 404 error, and i went to and found out it's a company that makes turntables :)
Maybe you spelled something wrong with the hyperlink
Jeff

Thanks Brad, I'll try that when I get home, and I'll let you know what's going on tomorrow.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back