Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID1 SATA Verification...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMitelGuy

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2003
CA
How does one make sure the RAID1 configuration is working properly with SATA drives? When I go into the RAID Server Manager it says it does not see the RAID Controller, but when the machine boots up it says the RAID Controller is installed and functioning? The hard drive is working, and the machine is working without any issues... I just want to make sure it's writing to both drives...

Thanks

There is no "good" way to test it. If you go into your SATA raid utility and it shows that it is a raid1 then I would not worry to much about it.

I do know some people that like to test the raid by pulling a drive and seeing if it will work with the other one but I would never recommend that someone do that. I have seen to may messed up arrays because of that.

You could always shut down the machine and remove the primary drive and then see if it will boot off the secondary but then you would have to do a rebuild on the primary once it is put back in the machine. I don't mess with SATA raid much but I do know it is not as easy to do a rebuild as it is with the SCSI raid controllers so I would not recommended that either.

Best practice is to trust your equipment and let it do its thing providing that it has been setup correctly in the first place. And of course backup your data daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back