Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdfdr78

Technical User
Jul 19, 2005

I have 2 x 3 ware 9500s-mi12 controllers, 2 X raid 50 6 seagate 400GB drives in each raid 50, intel se7520af2 board, Dual 3ghx Xeon 800FSB. Its a backup server, i`m wanting to know what should my stripe size be setup as when configuring RAID 64k 128k 256k, does it make that much diffrence in performance?

Thanks Richard

Generally the default stripe size is the optimal size for a general use file server.

If you have a speciialized file server as in..
Exchange
A server array dedicated to a database
A server array which has predominently one size file, particularly smaller or larger than 64k. Eg An array set on which 90&% of the files are forms, 6k in size.

Then, you may get higher throughput or transations by changing the stripe size. Database arrays would be the most to benefit from a stripe size change.

Personally I have changed the stripe size on general use servers multiple times for testing purposes, the default produces the best throughput. You should be more concerned with creating a scheduled task to cleanup temp files, having a good automated defrag program and a bi weekly scheduled consistency check.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thank`s for your help, i will keep to the standard stripe size.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back