Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid-S on Symm 8830 with 72GB HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

villavic

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
PE
I have an 8830 dedicated to R2 volumes (SRDF mirrored volumes). I need more space but don't want to buy more hard disks, so I asked EMC to reformat the box from Raid 0+1 to Raid-S

However EMC says Raid-S is not longer convenient, since 72GB hard disks are to big for this raid. And the rebuild time when replacing a disk is so long that it can affect the availability.

Is it true? Does anyone has experience of raid-s with 72GB hard disk? (on symmetrix).

Stay as far, far away from RAID-S as possible. We actually say here that the "S" stands for sh**. The performance is terrible. For example, I had to restore a SQL Database that is 1TB in size, it took SQL 36hours just to allocate the space before we could even start the restore. Once we switched it to RAID 0+1, it only took 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back