Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsquid

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2003
US
We have a ML530(G1) with a 5302 Raid Controller running NT4.0. We have 4 18.2 GB drives installed raid 5. We are running out of space, and are considering adding to our array.

Rather than add two or more drives and create another logical drive, we are considering removing the 4 currently installed drives, setting them aside and installing 4-6 new drives. (there is a reason for this). We would then prepare the array, and restore our tape backup onto the new array. Once we have a week or so of proper operation, we would add the 4 drives to the array as a new logical drive for data torage.

Our purpose in setting the original 4 drives aside, is the expectation if something goes wrong with this process, we will be able to reinstall the original 4 drives and be back to original configuration.

If we proceed as above and run into problems, will we be able to reinsert the original 4 drives successfully without data loss? We are concerned that setting up the new array would somehow prohibit returning to our original configuration if needed.

Any advice appreciated.

Sounds like a plan to me. :). Compaq hardware RAID keeps the array configuration on the drives so you can do what you are proposing. I have a habit of pulling a drive from the mirror on my DL360/380's before I do a major upgrade and keep it aside. If the upgrade goes West, just pull the other drive and boot up off the old one. Works a treat.

Cheers.

Are you looking at rebuilding the server with the new disks?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

So, back to this post.

We accomplished the process I noted in the first post, and were very successful with at least one gotcha.
When we installed the new Hard Drives, we (I) also thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the server firmware to the latest level. Never can be too current, right? The Compaq website makes no note of any potential issues. Riiiight.
Everything appeared to proceed normally.
Well, when we tried to boot after the restore we started getting Hal.DLL errors with a reference to MPS. In researching this it would appear the change did not agree with the NT4.0 HAL.
Most of the research we did on this suggested that dual processor machines would be most likely to see this if one processor failed. Unfortunately, most of the threads suggested a clean reinstall of NT server. And, of course since the information on the drives was from the tape backup, reinstalling the original drives would not have helped.

The good news is that the original firmware was available on the Smart Start CD and a restore to that was successful.

If anyone knows of any quick fix to this problem, I'd really appreciate knowing of it. The Smart Start CD was worth its weight in gold about 11pm Saturday night!

We just received similar servers. The dealer didn't setup the RAID array. So I need to access the controller. Question is how do I do that? I have worked on a Compaq for a number of years being an HP shop. Now that I'm replacing my servers, I'm back to CPQ style stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back