Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid on the same IDE channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthern

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
I've just bought a new motherboard which supports RAID. It only has two IDE headers though. I need to connect the two 80gig Maxtor HDs, and a DVDrom drive to this MB.

I couldn't find any benchmakrs for it, but what would the performence drop be if I use a RAID 1 on Master and Slave on the same IDE header?

I know it would be slower then if I stuck both maxtors on thier own cables, but then there wouldn't be a header left over for the CD/DVD drive.

Does anyone have links to benchmakrs comparing same-ide-cable and multiple-IDE-cable RAID 1 performance? Thank you very much! :)

-Suthern

I meant RAID 0 - Stripped... not mirrored :(

-Suthern

if you are using the SAME ide bus for both disk drives, performance will be affected... try to use the 2 buses, 1 per drive, no matter where the CD is.

cheers.

With the arrival of Ultra-ATA (aka UDMA aka PIO-5), the IDE bus no longer defaults back to the slowest IDE device. In other words, there is no objection in Configuring your CD/DVD drive as Primary Slave, your HDD will continu to work @ his best setting (probably UDMA133). However, the IDE bus is still able to speak to a Maximum of ONE device at a time, subsequently, putting both HDD's on the same IDE bus will slow down your configuration considerably. (altough normally the IDE bus will have a lot more bandwidth than used by your HDD's).

So I agree with Chacalinc, you should configure your PC as follows:
Primary Master: HDD-1
Primary Slave : CD/DVD
Secundary Master: HDD-2
Secundary Slave : None/Other

Just curious, why do you want to use Stripping not Mirroring?

What is the actual speed difference?

Well, here's a page I found that benchmarked various chipsets in various raid configs.

look at the tables for Raid 0
Read speed average ~87 to 52 MBps. (max 138MBps)
Write speed average 46MBps to 38MBps

then look at the table for Raid 1
Read speed av ~65 to 45 MBps (max 74.7MBps)
Write speed av ~35 to 21 MBps

Raid 0 looks faster for both reading and writing. Although we did not get to see a max writing speed in the tables, the average tells us something. :)

My system is going great, and is using RAID-0, with two 80GB drivers. One HD has its own IDE channel, and the 2nd HD shares the channel with a DVD-RW.

-Suthern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back