Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID Level 1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

admdev

Programmer
May 17, 2006
US
Hi all,

Hope somebody can help with this.

I have a Windows 2000 computer configured with an Adaptec RAID controller as RAID 1, which is running critical applications. The drives are running out of space and was just wandering if there is a way that I could swap the drives with new ones with higher capacity without re-installing everything.

Thanks.

I am not familiar with Adaptec's line of RAID controllers and their capabilities, but array expansion is easy with Compaq/HP controllers. I would use an imaging tool (Ghost, Acronis, Drive Image, etc.) to create an image of the existing disks on another server or portable USB drive. Then, replace the old drives with the new drives and create your array. Now you can restore the image and, depending upon the imaging program, have it fill the capacity of the new array.

This way, you still have the old disks just in case something goes wrong.

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back