Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID Level 0 w/EIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlondikeMike

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
I'm looking into incorporating RAID Level 0 into my system and need some advice. For starters, I'm running Win2K Pro, dual P-III 933's on a Intel OR840G mobo w/512-MB RDRAM and a 350-watt PSU. My main desire is to increase performance when doing 3-D modeling and animation rendering. Right now my HD's are: 15-GB Western Digital Caviar and 13-GB Western Digital Expert (both EIDE running through the onboard ATA66 controller) and am wondering how much of a performance gain I might expect over a standard EIDE setup. I'm thinking of using an Adaptec EIDE RAID controller with twin IBM Deskstars (or 2 pairs if I can talk my wife into letting me go whole-hog). Another question (probably stupid) is: will I still be able to use my old HD's either as non-striped units via the RAID controller, or on the mobo's primary EIDE channel (my DVD/CD-ROM is on the secondary)? And lastly, will the 350-watt PSU handle the load if I'm able to use 6 HD's, or would an upgrape be in order? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello;

First off, you can expect one heck of a performance improvement going to RAID 0.
Secondly don't try to run your old hard drives on the RAID controler. Keep them on there own IDE bus and you'll be just fine. One word of caution, do NOT mix hard drives and CD/DVD drives on the same bus. As far as the power supply goes you might be pushing it a little. As long as you will be doing surgury you might want to think about upgrading your cooling if you can. If you have room for any case fans put them in.

Good Luck I hope this helps.

Ed
Sometimes your the windshield... sometimes your the bug.

The controller is a great IDEA as long as you can get the IBM drives as long as they match. Like eguy stated dont use your current drives. As for the power supply an upgrade is really in order. You can run this on the 350W with some to spare but you really should upgrade. As the power supply gets older I have seen some cases whrer its power output looses a littel bit of a step.(basketball term). And as EGUY stated MORE FANS!!!!!! James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Hello Eguy!
Thanks for the tips!
Yeah, I never mix HD's with CD's. I did it when I was young & foolish and found it disgustingly slow.
And I'm using a Lite-On FS020 box with 3 case fans. If I notice any excess heat, I'll be sure to cut a hole and add another fan for good measure. Or maybe a refrigerating cooler?
Again, thanks for the advice! I'll put it to good use.
Take care.
Michael Comeaux
michael_comeaux@hotmail.com

Hi, butchercon,
I'll make sure to get two identical HD's. And I'll start looking around for a quality 450-watt PSU, as well. I know Adaptec isn't the only I/O controller mfg., is there other brands that will work better? When it comes to my computers, my motto is: "buy the best and cry only once" (though a SCSI RAID solution is above what I'm willing to shell out right now). A couple of 30-GB HD's and a controller will only set me back $500-600. My wife will sigh & roll her eyes, but she won't divorce me over it :)
Thanks for the helpful hints.
This forum is the best thing I've stumbled upon in quite a while!
Michael Comeaux
michael_comeaux@hotmail.com

In my opinion Adaptec is one of the best manufacturers of any controllers out there. So stick with it and you should be fine (My opinion though).
Hell my wife would kill me if I thought about spending another $5 on our computer. She says I put to much Time and money into it to make it better. BUT she has no complaints about how fast it runs, and how smooth it seems! James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Howdy butchercon,
Tell me about it! Every time I upgrade hardware, or feel the need to re-install the OS (semi-anually), she says, "Baby, what for? My old Mac never needed upgrades, or had problems with the software or hardware."
Then I remind her of what my computer can do that hers never could. Before my wife & I married, she was using an Apple IIs and thought it was the cat's meow. Now that she's using my workstation with a big color mointor and cable modem, she realizes she was driving a Pinto in world populated with the occasional Ferrari.
But, she also knows my graphics work is important to me, so she never complains too much when I need to change something on my system. She's a sweety!
Michael Comeaux michael_comeaux@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back