Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInKS

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have a ML350 G6 with a P410i disk controller with 512MB battery backed up write cache.

I have a RAID 5 array of 4 1.5TB 7200 rpm sata drives and I have started an expansion to add another 1.5TB drive to the array.

It seems to be working, but seems very slow. After 24 hours it is 25% complete.

The server is recording streaming video at about 4MB/s while the expansion is going on.

Does this seem normal?

Also, if I set up a hot spare for the array will it take 4 days for the spare to rebuild in the event of a drive failure?

sounds normal to me For SATA drives, you have large disks, plenty of parity/data to rewrite, which consumes most of the raid adapter resources.

If you setup a hotspare, the rebuild time will be the same.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

JimInKS,
According to the last time I spoke with HP (which has been several years) the expansion process takes 20 minutes per GB of the final size of the entire array. However, you might get better performance with newer technology.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

It completed successfully. I didn't time it exactly, but it took about 4 days.

so....

( 4 days * 24 hrs/day * 60 min/hr ) / 1500 GB = 3.84 Min / GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back