Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID Controller Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunsNRoses

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
Hey Guys,

We just purchased a 3300 MXe with a RAID controller, redundant hard drives, and version 9.0.0.8 software. I've been trying to setup the redundant drives, without success. First, I power up the 3300 with only one drive and no RAID controller. It comes up and I am able to login to ESM. Then, I shutdown the 3300, install the RAID controller, and power up the 3300. The 3300 keeps rebooting and I see the following error via a VT100 emulator:

Error !!!!. No valid drives found.

Bay 1 is drive as a hard fault.
Bay 2 is empty
Rebooting

I know the second line looks like a typo, but it's not. That's what it actually says. What am I doing wrong?

Try taking out both drives and reboot the system for 30 secs or so. This will clear any Hard drive information in the RAID card. Then turn off the system, insert the first hard drive and turn on the system again. Once the first drive has successfully booted up, then put in the second drive and start the mirroring process.

Remember, the two drives have to IDENTICAL! Not just the same size, but the same part number.

If you did not take enough time to get it right the first time...

What makes you think that you have time to fix it?

once you install the raid boot, remove the harddrive )so theres no drives in the controller) and reboot, it will load to a similar point to the above but will clear the drive sockets. power down the controller, install the single hardrive and reboot.
If it boots successfully you can then start the raid process.

P.S i have never successfully managed to raid a 3300 - i always end up doing a full reload of the software, BUT the above is what i would try intially, let us know how you go on.

it will load to a similar point to the above but will clear the drive sockets"

Thanks james1982. The THB actually says to refer to Knowledge Base Article 06-2806-00012 to clear the sockets, but I couldn't find that article anywhere and didn't even know what it meant. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

BTW - I'm mirroring the second drive now. I'll let you know how it goes.

gnr

Isn't it stupid that a document refers to another document while it can be explained in two lines !!!

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

It's called efficiency ;)

Well at least it is for the manufacturer, perhaps not for the end user.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back