Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid Controller Crashes 4Lx during creating raids... help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacekorn

Technical User
Feb 1, 2006
DE
Hello,

i got some strange behaviour of my IBM Serveraid 4LX Controller.

I connected an external array to the 4 LX Controller (internal nothing connected)

As soon as i start to load the ibm support CD the application for raid confirguration starts, but the Controller freezes.... Didnt do that before.

I tried to use only the internal connections for test purpose and this one works.

I already upgraeded the firmware and bios, but no effect.

Everytime it crashes. Now i disconnected the external enclosure and left the cable connected to the 4 lx controller and it crashes again. as soon i remove the cable everything works.

Also i could do the following: I add internal disc, start the support cd. disconnect the internal discs attach the external enclosure and i can create array and everything ewithout the controller crashing, but once i want to boot
the controller jumps to the screen where i need to insert a disc :(

But the system starts when i have the bootable server cd inside the cd rom.

could anybody help please ?

I am just an ibm serveraid nooob :)

Space

What type of external disk enclosure are you attaching?

Compaq StorageWorks Enclosure 123476-001, 14 Slots

it worked already on this controller without any errors and i have it working at another system with a 4LX Controller as well.

The boot issue i have managed to fix. but still enclosure not working :(

That is going to be a tricky situation since the raidmanager is looking for IBM devices.

If you got it to work before consider yourself lucky. There is no guarentee that it will work again.

What I normally do when I attach a exp is boot to servraid manager or run it in the OS, then with raidmanager running I hotplug the exp and then scan for new drives.

If I read your post correctly, if you try to boot the support CD with a 4Lx with an external cable but no enclosure attached to it, it freezes. Without the cable attached it works. Have you tried another cable?

Agree with scsiraid, sounds like the cables. Had similiar even with new cables (other than Adaptec branded), years ago I started only buying cables and terminators directly from Adaptec.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back