Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

raid configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bt2211

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
TR
for the first time i'll create new raid 5 on aix 5.2 operation system.there are 4 ch scsi raid adapter and 4 unit 73.4 Gb disks.how to create it.what are the critical points to be careful during this operation.

Never used aix but general raid practice...
Understand the documentation. Preferably use a separate channel for each drive in the array set, would recommend a "hotspare", which can be place on any of the channels ( which would mean one of the channels have two drives).

Do not consider placing a tape drive on any channel of an array adapter. Document all settings during your array configuration.
Mark your drives and cables. Provide, and maintain, as much cooling as possible for your array; beside the age of your drives, heat is the next threat to array longevity. I have about 20 arrays, my servers ( Supermicro) maintain the drives a few degrees about room temperature; due to this, some luck ,and Seagate I have not replaced a drive in over a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back