Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I've just inherited the maintenance of a server in another continent. It's an HP ML350G4. I'm trying to determine all the specs of it. I got most of the info I'm looking for but I can't seem to find any info on it's RAID (if any) configuration. I've gone throught the HP System Management Home Page but still can't seem to find the RAID Config. I would be really surprised if the supplier sold a server without any raid to this customer but then again, their IT skills aren't that high in that area which is why we were asked to support/maintain the systems. So far in disk management, all I see is BASIC Disks. In Device Manager, I see 2 hard drives. They have many logical drives. In the HP System Management, under Storage and under Scsi Controller Port 1 on System Board, I see 2 hard drives (one on ID0 and 1 on ID2). I'm starting to think there's NO RAID at all and that scares the hell out of me. Using the serial number, is there a place on HP's website that where I can find what were the original specs of this server like on Dell's Website ?

Thanks
akwong

Just a couple of quick thoughts:
If you look at the Data Collection Report for the server (within HPSIM), do you see a Smart Array controller listed? If not, it may be that there is no RAID. The Data Collection Report should also tell you the size of the drives and the size of the logical volumes. Add the size of the logical volumes together. Are they the same size as the physical drives added together?

If you download and install the latest PSP (Proliant Support Pack) - I think 7.80 for 2003, and 7.51 for 2000 server - this will include HP's Array Configuration Utility (ACU).
Run this, and it will scan for SmartArray controllers, and in there (assuming it finds any) it will give you details of how any hardware RAID has been configured.

Be aware though, although I don't think PSP requires a reboot, it will drop the network for a few mins while it updates the NIC drivers...

Thanks, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back