Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid Card Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

summoner

Technical User
Sep 28, 2002
US
Hi, first time posting to tek-tips. I joined because of the level of expertise found on this website. Hopefully I can get a good recommendation. Heres my story.

Client of mine approached me with a situation that I would like to handle. He is a startup business that does graphics and web design. Currently he has no central storage or backup plan. I recommended building him a file server so all important documents and files could be accessed, backed-up and managed centrally. Figure about 20-30 employees, anywhere from 4-8 simultaneously accessing the server. I will be using this case ( All I need is a good recommendation on a raid controller that can do raid5 and be compatible with this hot swap case. I've worked with promise IDE raid and 2940uw and 29160 scsi cards, but not scsi raid together. I have in mind some raid controllers, but I'd like to see what the general opinion of this board is too. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Joe P.

I am not aware of too many options that may be available. I tend to like the AMI adapters. This company was recently purchased by LSI Logic. LSI manufactures both the chips that power these types of adapters as well as their own disk array systems used by IBM, NCR and HP.

the feature set is rich and the performance is good, for an internal adapter. there are several models to choose from, one of which will most likely support your requirement....
hope that this helps

Thanks for the response. I did end up getting an AMI megaraid card anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back