Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID ATA/133 Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshirley001

Technical User
Mar 2, 2003
US
My new motherboard (ASUS P4PE) has a RAID ATA/133 connector and the manual says that "by default the drive you connect will follow the ATA 133/100/66/33 protocol as an independent drive, not as a disk array". The Maxtor drive I ordered is an ATA 133 drive. Does this mean I can connect that drive to the RAID connector and install my OS on it and then still connect 2 more HDD's to the boards primary IDE controller? If so, would they both be slaves on the primary IDE or would I set them as normal (master/slave)?

Check out this reply I got on ZDnet to the exact same post:

>"I suggest that if the supplier of such a board can't >answer this question, you should shop elsewhere."

well... wasnt that helpful. Thats what I'll do, Just throw away my new motherboard and buy another one. What a jerk.

forgot to mention, that reply was from the moderator.

I have a gigabyte with the promise raid on it. I assume its going to be very similiar and with mine I could have 8 IDE devices on the one board. You still configure them as master/slave on each controller.

I have 2x40Gbs Maxtor in RAID stripe on IDE 3, a DVD & CDRW on secondary IDE, and if im testing a drive I will hang it off Primary and all works fine. Tez

Backups are great but checking if you can restore is more fun.

The problem you will have is getting the bios to use the pci card HD to boot with. In the bios you will have to set the boot list to either "other" or "scsi". The onboard ide can stay the same.
JON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back